To use airspace for filming, general operational rules abide by article nr.3 of the regulation nr. 1093/2016 by Autoridade Nacional da Aviação Civil (ANAC – National Civil Aviation Authority).
Operations that do not need prior authorisation by ANAC:
You must avoid forbidden flight zones (international airports and hospital heliports) as well as operational restricted flight zones, which you can check at www.voanaboa.pt (link). Additionally, you must avoid specific forbidden operations, as detailed in article 11 of the above-mentioned regulation, and make sure you abide by the following guidelines:
• Operate VLOS (on the line of sight)
• Keep a safe distance from people
• Do not fly over crowds
• Keep the maximum flight height indicated on the annex of the regulation (120m AGL – above ground level – in uncontrolled airspace; 30m AGL in restricted operational areas 1; 60m AGL in restricted operational areas 2; 80m AGL in restricted operational areas 3)
• Drones must weigh less than 25kg
For more information please carefully read the regulation, the available information at www.anac.pt and the FAQs at www.voanaboa.pt.
Operations that need prior authorisation by ANAC:
Operational conditions not regarded at article 3 of the Regulation nr. 1093/2016, or in need of a permit referred at article 10 or performed in non-compliance with the activities restricted by article 11 will need a previous authorisation by ANAC.
For the following examples, the operator must ensure the safe execution of the flight, given that the risk to third parties (manned aerial navigation and people on the ground) is high:
• Flying forbidden zones and aerodrome/heliport operational protected zones
• BVLOS flights (Beyond Visual Line of sight) – especially dangerous in urban areas and at great distances from the remote console
• Flights above 10m AGL (400ft AGL) – require airspace reservation
• RPA with more than 25kg take-off weight
• Flying over crowds
The request must be submitted 12 days before the date. For more information check the following link: https://voanaboa.pt/formularios
The capture for the purpose of disseminating the collected images is subject to prior authorisation from the Autoridade Aeronáutica Nacional (AAN – National Aeronautical Authority) and must be requested after obtaining authorisation from ANAC.