The Portugal Film Commission’s mission is to promote the internationalisation of Portugal as a filming destination and to streamline the procedures regarding filming requests by portuguese and foreign producers, in Portugal.
According to RCM N.º 85/2019, the PFC’s competences are as follows:
1. Create conditions for the affirmation and promotion of Portugal as a destination of excellence for international production;
2. Guarantee the international projection of Portugal’s mainland and autonomous regions, as privileged filmings destinations;
3. Contribute to the national and international dissemination of the Support Fund for Tourism and Cinema, as a competitive instrument designed to capture cinematographic and audiovisual production for Portugal;
4. Define best practices and methods to support filming by national and international producers;
5. Ensure the articulation with all services in their scope of action, namely accompanying the creation and implementation of the one-stop shop for procedures, regarding support and licensing;
6. Guarantee and ensure articulation with regional tourism entities, namely in the promotion, exhibition and discovery of filming locations;
7. Establish, together with regional tourism entities, quick channels for local monitoring of productions within the territory;
8. To guarantee the functioning and operability of the «PIC Portugal» platform, in articulation with the service platform that supports the ePortugal website and the websites of Instituto do Cinema e do Audiovisual, I. P. (ICA, I. P.) and Turismo de Portugal, IP, through the iAP interoperability platform, ensuring the evolution towards the dematerialisation of processes and the provision of digital services;
9. To guarantee, in the relationship with entities in the national territory, an effective, informed and collaborative articulation, namely with municipalities and parishes;
10. Promote the creation of databases of the various providers of technical and logistical services existing in the national territory, to ensure the best use of existing resources and conditions to support filming;
11. To ensure the correct identification and reporting of the needs and practical difficulties of film production at a national level, in order to create solutions that will provide Portugal with the necessary means to guarantee the successful implementation of filmmaking;
12. Identify legislative or regulatory changes to simplify and standardise administrative procedures for licensing, authorisation or prior communication necessary for filming in the national territory;
13. Collaborate in the elaboration of the multi-annual strategic plan for cinema and audiovisual, in the context of internationalisation, provided for in article 3 of Decree-Law no. 25/2018, of 24 April;
14. To propose the definitive institutional and governance model for the national Film Commission, according to the best international practices, after benchmarking the most important foreign structures and guaranteeing high standards of excellence in this domain.