Why Film in Portugal
1. DAYS OF SUNSHINE: long hours of sunshine and clear skies – almost 300 days of sunshine a year and low levels of precipitation, allowing production throughout the year. Average temperature in 2019: 16ºC/61°F.
2. DIVERSITY OF SCENERIES: Portugal offers from beaches, castles, palaces, monuments, impressive old buildings, buildings of modern architecture, churches, cathedrals, monasteries, parks, historic villages, walled cities. Portugal’s landscape variety is enormous and includes mountain scenery, forests, gardens, plains, rocky slopes, valleys, caves, rivers, lakes and lagoons and even jungles, among many more.
3. ACCESSIBLE LOCATIONS: diversity of sceneries at close range. In less than 5 hours it is possible to travel across Portugal, by car, from north to south; 6 international airports (Lisbon, Porto, Faro, Funchal, São Miguel and Lajes), 5 international ports and an accessible rail network.
4. EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONALS: qualified talent available at competitive prices. Portuguese teams are used to working in international productions and have extensive experience in film and TV production, as well as recording relevant commercials. The teams are mostly fluent in English. Spanish and French are also widely spoken.
5. FACILITIES/STUDIOS AND EQUIPMENT: The majority of studios are available in the Lisbon, OPorto and Algarve areas, equipped with the latest technology. There are also projects to develop new areas for this purpose, which have provided Portugal with infrastructure capable of meeting the most difficult requirements at international level. Post-production is mostly located in the Lisbon metropolitan area and in the north of the country.
6. AFFORDABLE COST OF LIVING, GREAT HOTEL OFFER AND HIGH-QUALITY CUISINE
7. CO-PRODUCTION AGREEMENTS: Portugal has co-production agreements with more than 60 countries around the world, including all countries with Portuguese as the official language, which represent +250 million Portuguese speakers (such as Brazil, Mozambique and Angola) and countries in Latin America.
8. STABLE AND SAFE COUNTRY: According to the Global Peace Index of 2020, Portugal is the 3rd safest country in the world.
9. QUALITY HEALTH SYSTEM WITH A WIDE NETWORK OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE HOSPITALS
10. PT CASH REBATE
11. SCOUTING PROGRAMME