Why Film in Portugal
1. DAYS OF SUNSHINE: long hours of sunshine and clear skies – almost 300 days of sunshine a year and low levels of precipitation, allowing production throughout the year, with great natural light. Average temperature: 16ºC/61°F.
2. DIVERSITY OF SCENERIES: Portugal offers everything from beaches, castles, palaces, monuments, impressive old buildings, modern architecture, churches, cathedrals, monasteries, parks, historic villages and walled cities. Portugal’s landscape variety is enormous and includes mountain scenery, forests, gardens, plains, rocky slopes, valleys, caves, rivers, lakes, lagoons, jungles and more.
3. ACCESSIBLE LOCATIONS: diversity of sceneries within close range. It is possible to travel across Portugal by car in less than 5 hours, from north to south. There are also 6 international airports (Lisbon, Porto, Faro, Funchal, São Miguel and Lajes), 5 international ports and an accessible rail network.
4. EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONALS: qualified talent is available at competitive prices. Portuguese teams are used to working in international productions and have extensive experience in film, TV and comercial production. The teams are mostly fluent in English. Spanish and French are also widely spoken.
5. FACILITIES/STUDIOS AND EQUIPMENT: The majority of studios are available in the Lisbon, Porto and Algarve areas, equipped with the latest technology. There are also projects to develop new areas for this purpose, which have provided Portugal with infrastructure capable of meeting the most difficult requirements at an international level. Post-production is mostly located in the Lisbon metropolitan area and in the north of the country.
6. AFFORDABLE COST OF LIVING, GREAT HOTEL OFFER AND HIGH-QUALITY CUISINE
7. CO-PRODUCTION AGREEMENTS: Portugal has co-production agreements with more than 60 countries around the world, including all countries with Portuguese as the official language, which represent +250 million Portuguese speakers (such as Brazil, Mozambique and Angola). Portugal also has agreements with countries in Latin America.
8. STABLE AND SAFE COUNTRY: According to the Global Peace Index of 2020, Portugal is the 3rd safest country in the world.
9. QUALITY HEALTH SYSTEM WITH A WIDE NETWORK OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE HOSPITALS
10. PT CASH REBATE
11. SCOUTING PROGRAMME